Sunday, October 25, 2009

Dry Eyes

We have the best friends in the world. And all over the world! Recently, our friends Ben and Lindsay moved to Portland, and we have enjoyed hearing adventures of peacocks living in their neighborhood, and trips to Forks, WA to take the Twilight tour (yeah...jealous).  Yesterday, I received a package from Lindsay in the mail, containing these puppies:

That's right folks, certified Onion goggles. Specifically designed to keep your eyes high and dry while slicing through the layers of those tricky onions. They're like a mix between safety glasses, and ski goggles, encasing your eyes. Holla!

Lindsay and I both share the love of Tortilla Soup, but whenever I make it, I am always handicapped by the cutting of the onions. But not anymore! I used them tonight, and they worked like a charm. I'm not going to lie, I have been known to sport my swimming goggles while chopping, but I think that these have decreased the chance of a severed finger in my kitchen.

(the onions view. mu haha)

Thank you, Lindsay, I miss you guys so much.

In celebration of good friends and fall weather, here is the Tortilla soup recipe:

Ingredients:

  • 1 tsp. butter
  • 4 cups diced tomatoes
  • 1.5 cup yellow onion
  • 2 Tbl cumin
  • 1.5 Tbl salt
  • 1 Tbl garlic
  • 2 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 2 tsp. white pepper
  • 1 gallon chicken broth
  • 4 cup cooked, pulled chicken breast
Instructions:
  1. Saute onions & butter in a large sauce pan until onions start to clear
  2. Add all of the other ingredients excluding the both and chicken, and saute for 3 minutes
  3. Meanwhile, put broth and chicken in stock pot
  4. Add the sautéed mixture to stock pot
  5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and serve with sour cream, cheese and tortilla chips


Wal-ah, happy cooking!

1 comment:

  1. i'm so jeaous of your new super-cool onion goggles! p.s. in the second pic, you look like you're about to play quidditch with harry potter. if you did, i'm also jealous of that.

    ReplyDelete