Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What to Wear: An Overview

I always get tons of questions about what to wear during a photo session. Sometimes I wish that I could spend a whole day with people, take them to the mall, pick out clothes, get their hair and make up done, and then do a photo session. I think that would be so much fun! But since most people don't realistically have the time to do that, I've decided that I am going to try to do some 'what to wear' posts that people can refer to.

There are a couple things that I do always suggest to people:
  1. Wear what you are comfortable in. That doesn't mean that you show up in your sweat pants and flip flops with socks, but if you are not used to wearing something that is strapless or low cut, and it makes you feel like your biz is hanging out, don't wear it! Not that there is anything wrong with those types of clothes, I love a cute little sassy strapless dress, but if you don't feel comfortable, you won't look comfortable in your pics.
  2. Don't Be too Matchy-Matchy.  I don't suggest doing the all white shirts or all black shirts. When taking outside photos, it is hard to pull detail in them and people end up looking like a big blob with heads. Choose coordinating colors, but not all the same color. For example, For an engagement shoot, a groom-to-be may wear a white shirt with a grey sweater vest, and a blue, green and pink plaid tie tucked into the sweater vest. The bride-to-be could wear a sassy little pink dress with a blue necklace and shoes. Something along those lines.
  3. Layers. I'm a big fan of layers. They add texture and pop to most photos.
  4. What would J.Crew Wear? If all else fails, look in some of your favorite stores magazines or website and see how they dress and try to imitate that. 90% of the time you can pull something out of your closet and imitate what they're doing.
  5. Note to the Ladies: Wear a little more make up then you usually do. 
  6. Pick a Theme: Theme shoots are some of my favorite. Pick a theme, such as "old movies" or "a picnic," and I will help you run with it. We of course will still do the typical pics, but choosing a theme will help you get some unique clothing ideas, and photos that are one of a kind.


 I saw these pajamas over on Tada!, and can't you just imagine two little girls with a slumber party photo shoot??

And the number one rule: You Don't Have to Listen to What I say. These are just suggestions. Sometimes people love to get out of their comfort zone and sport a driving cap, even though they've never worn one in their life. And they look like a million bucks. (which I really want someone to do by the way)

Now, with all that to say, here is a list of some of my favorite (but pricey) stores to find great clothes.
Women: Anothropologie, J.Crew, Ann Taylor, Mod Cloth (their stuff is super fun, but less pricey)
Men: JCrew, Banana Republic, Gap
Kids: Dagmar Daley (OMG, their stuff is soooo cute), JCrew Kids, 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment