Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Lantern Festival in Korea



Before we made the journey over the ocean to the grand city of Seoul, I was convinced I was going to stick out like a sore thumb. But surprisingly despite my blond hair and almost-see-through-white skin, I didn't really feel awkward at all-- I guess most of it is thanks to being a bit vertically impaired. We just went along our week, and I think after a while I just felt like I was one of the cute little Korean girl there.

Well, on my birthday, the whole city decided to celebrate with a parade! (Well, actually it was the Annual Lantern Festival in celebration of Buddha-- but I mean, who's keeping track anyway.) And I guess that all of the white people in the whole country traveled into town to celebrate, too! I've never been so intrigued by seeing white people, I think they may have outnumbered the Koreans in the crowds!

The night was a beautiful show of amazing paper floats (some even breathed fire!), and lots of little ladies dressed in Hanbok's taking on the streets. Above are some of my favorite shots that we got.

xoxoely

1 comment:

  1. Yea! I'm so glad you're back! I love getting to hear about you life lately. This story/pictures remind me of something that would go on in Thailand. I can wait to hear more stories!

    We have to talk soon and catch up on everything. I'm dying to hear about your house and everything else that's going on!

    ReplyDelete